Thursday 18 July 2013

Shocked and Amazed!

So, as I was cruising Facebook this afternoon, a video a friend of mine posted caught my attention.  The caption simply states, "Everyone saw the biracial Cheerios commercial, but kids saw it differently."  I don't watch very much TV, so I was a little curious what they were even talking about.

Here is the link if you want to watch it to satisfy your own curiosity now:

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/kids-react-cheerios-commercial-race/

The video is almost 9 minutes long, so I understand if you don't want to or have the time to watch it.  I don't remember even seeing this commercial before, so I either haven't seen it, or it was not a big deal to me so it was in one ear and out the other.  It is about Cheerios obviously, and features an adorable little girl who finds out that Cheerios are heart healthy, and proceeds to put them on her sleeping Dad's heart.  Pretty cool I think.  Especially the example of the way kids minds work.  I personally would never have thought to do that.

The problem with this video you might ask?  This commercial features biracial parents.  WHAT!?!  This is a problem?  Do you see the absolutely adorable little girl?  And the completely normal home?  I mean, I know this is a commercial, so it's all set up, but really people?

But they film a bunch of kids watching this commercial and get their reactions to it.  They all think it's pretty cute.  Then they find out that people are actually having horrible responses to it.  All because of two people who just happen to have different colours of skin.  And their responses will put a smile on your face for sure.  One girl is even so passionate about the subject that she is brought to tears. 

I hope that I, as a parent, will never teach my children that something as small as skin colour makes a difference to how I look at a person.  As these children point out, it's a person's character that makes them who they are, not their genetics.

I know this is an unusual post, but it just blew me away that this would be an issue today.  And I am proud of my parents, who raised me to not really even see the skin colour of people, but who they are.  And to love them for that. 

Heavenly Father, I am saddened by all the judgement in the world today.  Please soften the hearts of those people who are missing out on so much because of preconceived notions.  Please help them to see loving examples of those they judge, and let their minds be changed.  And Lord, please help us to raise our children in your example, that we are all the same in your eyes, no matter where we are born, or what colour our skin is.  Let us be shining examples of love and acceptance to all those you place in our paths, because you have put them there for a reason.  In Jesus' name.  Amen.

Please if you need prayer, leave a comment.  I would love to lift you up to God in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment