Tuesday 3 September 2013

ABC Banners

Since I am starting a preschool curriculum with my kids in just over a week, I have been trying to come up with ways to inconspicuously decorate my house with educational items. 

I was shopping at our local Dollarama earlier this summer and saw their fabric canning lid covers in a red print.  I wasn't really certain what I could make out of them, but at $1 for 10 pieces of precut fabric, it didn't really matter. 

Add in some precut wooden letters and some double fold bias tape from Wal-Mart, and a banner is born.

 
Since my son (who is now 21 months) will also be following along (or at least in the same room), I decided I might as well make one up for him too.  I picked out some fabric (no precuts this time).  I went with an alphabet animal themed print and an orange print to brighten it up a little.  I picked out a matched bias tape, and got ready.

 
Next I needed to pick up the wooden letters.  You could use any letters that you want, I chose these so that the kids could decorate them.

 
Open up the bias tape at the fold, insert the squares at whatever interval or pattern you like, and sew with a simple straight stitch.

 
I attached mine to the wall with 3M wall hooks so that there would be no marks on our walls.

 
And there you have it. 
 
I chose the wooden letters that are easily decorated since I am doing God's Little Explorers.  This curriculum is Bible based, and relies on theme's matching bible stories in chronological order.  This also means that the alphabet is not presented in order (it starts with "x').  This way, my kids can start their week with the letter that particular week includes, decorate it, and then put it back on their banner as a visual aid for the right order of the alphabet.

4 comments:

  1. A novel idea of presenting the alphabet. Children learn with tactile surfaces so creating the letters will help to reinforce your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I thought these were a fun way for the kids to see their work every day.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea and so much cuter than the traditional alphabet banners. I also like that the kids get to participate by decorating the letters.

    Thanks for linking up with Mommy Moments!
    Becky @ mysweetmoose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking at my post! I loved the idea of letting them have a visual of which letters they have worked with.

      Delete