Thursday 19 September 2013

DIY Paper Covered Journals

I have been looking online for some inexpensive Prayer and Praise journals to keep track of my conversations with God, but really haven't found many options.  So, I decided to make my own and it was really easy.  It of course started with a trip to the dollar store to find some inexpensive journals for my mini makeover.  I found a pack of 3 mini composition books for $1.  Then I cut scrapbooking paper in 1/2 so that I had 2 6" x 12" pieces.
 
 
Here are the books and one 6" x 12" piece of paper.
 
 

 
I centered the journal on the paper.

 
Then glued it down with a plain old glue stick.

 
Here it is glued front and back.

 
I cut the paper spine width down to the spine to make folding easier.

 
Here it is with the pieces all cut out ready to fold.

 
Glue the top and bottom flaps first.

 
Then glue and fold the side piece.

 
Here is the front of the journal done.

 
Here is the back ready to be glued.

 
Tada!  For about $0.50, I have a pocket sized covered journal.
 
If you wanted to make one with a different sized journal, cut the paper about 1" bigger than your journal, and get some glue.
  
 
You can make them look pretty much any way you like!

10 comments:

  1. We have done these before. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was looking for a great gift for our church for thanksgiving and came up with these.

      Delete
  2. Lovely :) can't wait to try and make one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so pretty and so easy to personalize. I hope you love them!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hope you have a great weekend! Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog!

      Delete
  4. I have covered these notebooks and I love them! Great idea of cutting them in half and making them smaller. Really handy to carry in your purse! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thank you for reading my post! I actually bought these notebooks as a three pack before I recovered them, so no cutting involved. I guess I lucked out! Have a great week!

      Delete