Friday 6 September 2013

Wacky and Wonderful Ways

My life has been a little busy lately.  Well honestly, life has been a little busy since I had my first child 4 years ago, so I guess life has been a little more crazy lately than usual.

Yesterday for example included numerous long distance phone calls to sort out the details for a truck we are hoping to buy today.  This is my husband's dream truck (all except the colour) at a price we can't resist, so we had to arrange to have a lien taken off of it.  Then we had to get more current pictures.  Then we had to book flights.  Then because we made the poor judgement call to book with CheapO Air, we had to re-book those flights because they actually aren't as cheap as they post online. 

This was all made a little more complicated by the fact that the gentleman who owns this particular pickup has moved to Germany.  And the friend who was taking care of the details for him?  Well, he happens to have a camp job with intermittent phone service.  And the lady who is now in charge? She doesn't know how to drive a standard.

Yesterday also included a 5 hour visit to our local ER as my daughter apparently was curious as to what a metal princess crown would taste like.  After being assured by the ER Dr. that he has seen people eat razorblades, and other than minor discomforts, the body can expel these items naturally.  Until he sent her for x-rays and found that it was quite securely lodged in her esophagus.

My 3.5 year old had her first surgery yesterday.

Yep, my life is a little busy right now.

But you know what I discovered amidst all the chaos?  God is there.

Those of you who have read my posts from last year know that I am just building my relationship with Him.  And boy does he work in mysterious ways.

My best friend, you know the one that never judges you no matter how bad the story is?  She was up visiting last month and the three of us (hubby included) started going through our old high school yearbooks.  We actually graduated from three different high schools, but my husband and best friend went to elementary school and junior high together.

And I saw a picture of a girl who was one year younger than me that was a little over weight back then.  I thought back to one day in particular when I pointed out to her that she was fat and should lose some weight. 

Who on this great planet did I think I was back then, right?

I have regretted saying those words since they left my mouth well over a decade ago.  I didn't apologize back then because my mouth was bigger than my heart, and my ego was even larger.

I felt myself still feeling absolutely horrible after all these years.  She was a beautiful soul, and I had no right to make high school any harder on her than it already was.  High school is difficult enough with all the awkwardness that becoming an adult naturally entails without having someone shove your insecurities in your face like that. 

But how on earth was I supposed to know where she was right now to make things right with her?

And in my long and drawn out story, can you guess how God was at work in the chaos?

The nurse in my daughter's surgery was this same girl.  Only now she is a beautiful, kind young woman.  I felt so awkward when I saw her, and the only thing I could think was that she was being so amazing with my little girl and so courteous to me when I didn't deserve her kindness.

This beautiful person, who is now actually smaller than me ironically, could not have been nicer or more caring to my precious little girl.

And so I finally humbled myself.  I apologized for the way I treated her back then.  I knew that high school was horrible enough (for me anyways), and I should never have talked to her like that.  And she graciously accepted.

You see, in the midst of all this chaos, not only did He take care of my little girl and bring her through surgery, he took care of my heart, and I hope, maybe hers a little too.

I may be giving my statement back then too much importance.  I truly hope that those words I said haven't been thought of by her since I said them.  But if they did bother her, while I can never take them back, I can show true regret for them.

And the icing on top of this long, complicated, somewhat awesome "chance" meeting?

After my little girl woke up from her anesthetic, and charmed all the nurses?  She unabashedly asked this beautiful young woman if she would see her in our church on Sunday.

He sure does work in His own wacky and wonderful ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment