Wednesday 14 September 2016

That Special Guest




I have been reading Listen, Love, Repeat by Karen Ehman this week.  I was fortunate enough to have been selected to be a part of the launch team for this amazing week.

I got lost on Facebook tonight.  I started out looking up something for a friend of mine, then, well, Facebook.  That vortex that just sucks you right in and makes time disappear like the Rabbit Hole.

I was catching up on things that friends had shared, things that had happened in our community today, and silly images of cats and such when this video came up about who would you like to have dinner with.

Oh, the tears.  So many tears.  I am a bit of a type A personality, and I homeschool two of the precious hearts that have been entrusted to me.  And it is so hard for me to see the world through their eyes.  I have to really stop and think most days about what it must look like to them.  For me, what I am requesting is just so simple, so why can't you just do it?

And no matter how many times I say the wrong words, or get exasperated with their questions, they love me.  They strive to do better.  Even when I am the problem, not them.

I have really been trying these last couple weeks to be a fun Mom.  One they can look back on as a teacher, and someone that they laughed with.  Who would do silly things just because.  These things used to come naturally to me, before I had to grow up. 

Karen's book is all about listening to something called "heart drops."  These are little hints dropped in everyday conversation that can make all the difference in someone's world.  If only we can stop focusing on US and really listen to THEM.  You know the "heart drops" I want to become an expert in?  The ones my kids drop.  I am only one person, but if I can really listen to them, and teach by example for them to do it with others, I have now equipped 3 other people to love on others the way they want to be loved on.  And isn't that just amazing?

This week, and hopefully every week after, I am going to challenge myself to really listen to these tiny people.  To really love on them, and let them know how special they are, since they are the most special guests in my life!  Maybe you could do the same and together, we can really change the world.

Image result for dr seuss caring quote

If you have a prayer request, I would love for you to leave it in the comments below.  It would be a privilege to lift you up in prayer.

Blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment